Author Topic: Roleplay Discussions Thread  (Read 11380 times)

Offline Anndgrim

• Abnormal
    • View Profile
Roleplay Discussions Thread
« on: February 20, 2013, 04:02:27 pm »
This is an open discussion thread about RP.

Come here to talk about matters related to Roleplaying and this section and not directly related to an ongoing RP. (For that you have an OOC Thread)

You can talk about your raw ideas for RPs and characters without having to spend too much time working on them and posting a thread to be possibly turned down, or about a type of setting in which you'd like to have a RP but don't have an idea for a plotline, etc.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:05:34 pm by Anndgrim »
Sig by dioz

Offline Anndgrim

• Abnormal
    • View Profile
Re: Roleplay Discussions Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 04:40:21 pm »
So, it's time to get this thing started.

Do you guys have any ideas for a RP you might wanna share?

I, myself have an idea of plot line for a Roleplay set in the world of Warhammer 40,000. Unfortunatley it would require some decent knowledge of the setting.

I, however, have a number of settings ideas for which I have no real plotline:
  • A cyberpunk science-fantasy setting based on the real world, only, some time in the future, with vampires, werewolves, etc, and revolving around a crime ridden smuggling haven. (Possibly on an island, a big one)
    Power level: probably a Low-Tiers Medium(4) based on ketaro's scale, so basically characters with minor superhuman abilities.
  • A Low Fantasy setting based on 12th-13th Century Western Europe. Little to no magic involved, and if there is it is likely to be more akin to traditional witchcraft than to D&D fireballs. Characters wise we're basically looking at Knights, Rogues, Thugs, Warriors, Mercenaries and the sort.
    Power level: High-Tiers Low(3). We're dealing with realistically skilled characters.
  • An A-team like Commando RP (based in the "Real" World)
    Power level: High-Tiers Low (3)
  • A rogue vigilantes RP. "Real" World, no superpowers, just guns, knives and paramilitary gear, training and tactics. (Kind of imagining my character in that setting like an unpowered Deathstroke relying on smokes and mirrors)
  • Romanced Golden Age of Piracy (not unlike Pirates of the Carribean)

I guess that's about it for now.
You're open to comment on those and/or offer your own ideas.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:49:55 pm by Anndgrim »
Sig by dioz

Offline balis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 03:52:07 pm »
Never played Warhammer, so I wouldn't know~~

the 2nd and 4th one look good to me x)

made by dioz/kami

Offline Anndgrim

• Abnormal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 04:19:01 pm »
Never played Warhammer, so I wouldn't know~~

the 2nd and 4th one look good to me x)

So the Low Fantasy and the Rogue Vigilante RP? :o
I like those 2.

Having no particular idea of a plotline for the vigilante RP, I'd be leaning toward a "bad guy/mission of the week" structure.
Note that the heroes would be guns and knives wielding Vigilantes, so they may be good but they certainly aren't nice, and quite frankly borderline if not worse.
Sig by dioz

Offline Xtorr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 06:37:31 pm »
I have a question what would the extent of witchcraft be in "A Low Fantasy setting based on 12th-13th Century Western Europe."? is it curses like "now you have a dong on your forehead" or "every full moon you become a pig for a week" or is it like "you get really sick and slowly die" or "you a REALLY unlucky"

Offline Anndgrim

• Abnormal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 06:55:52 pm »
I have a question what would the extent of witchcraft be in "A Low Fantasy setting based on 12th-13th Century Western Europe."? is it curses like "now you have a dong on your forehead" or "every full moon you become a pig for a week" or is it like "you get really sick and slowly die" or "you a REALLY unlucky"

It's not arrested but the latter I guess.
It's hard and slow to use and the effects are preferably not flashy.
So I guess sickness, misfortune, heart attack, poisoning, nightmares, insanity, mystic healing, trance, some form of divination. Also balms, ointments, pomades and other herbalism.
Sig by dioz

Offline NamsuClintz

• not-a-bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 12:08:53 pm »
It's not easy to come across an idea for a RP that you're satisfied with. When I think of RPing, I think of delving into a world that's intangible in reality.

At the moment, I am mostly interested in exploring a futuristic plotline. This is because there are so many ways the present can branch out and being able to explore one of the many possibilites truly fascinates me. A few of the ideas I have are as follows:

In the year xxxx, Science and Technology have advanced to the point in which humans can safely commute between Earth and the Moon. The conditions on the Moon have been modified so as to make human inhabitance possible. Unlike the projected figures, the world population is maintained at a sustainable level due to government checks. For example, the women are unable to conceive unless consent is given by a doctor. A select few are exempt of these requirements. World hunger, health, education, and equality are no longer issues. Almost everything is automated. With constant observation on almost all public areas, crime has become a very rare occurrence. However, there sill remains a lawless land. The RP will revolve around the interplay between the majority of society and the lawless land.

Offline balis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 01:03:33 pm »
I wouldn't mind a futuristic RP, but I just can't bear the steam-punk style..

made by dioz/kami

Offline Anndgrim

• Abnormal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 03:40:10 pm »

Steam-punk isn't a futuristic style.

I think you're confusing it with Cyber Punk, which basically depicts a society where society has evolved into a corrupt system and were drugs, fetishes and transhumanism have taken over society. (most often)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 03:42:48 pm by Anndgrim »
Sig by dioz

Offline balis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 04:51:54 pm »

Steam-punk isn't a futuristic style.

I think you're confusing it with Cyber Punk, which basically depicts a society where society has evolved into a corrupt system and were drugs, fetishes and transhumanism have taken over society. (most often)
I've always seen steam-punk as a future where the civilization retrograded to "ancient" mechanism..

made by dioz/kami

Offline ketaro

• Administrator
  • Let them entertain you
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 04:59:15 pm »
It is a good point. You can have futuristic games and still run with the whole 'realistic' thing.

Offline NamsuClintz

• not-a-bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 07:35:45 am »
Before, what I gave was just a basic break down of the setting. Now I'll give a breakdown of the plot as follows:

In such a world they managed to cultivate people with innate talent to an almost unimaginable level. However, not all of these people are vain. There are those that wish to live a simple life, amongst everyone else. These people, in their respective domains, would bear the most fruitful results so in the government's interest they are placed in a situation where they excel. In quite a lot of cases, the people who wish for a simple life divert from their routes and end up meeting and developing relationships with others who, as the government sees it, only hinder the capabilities.

To deal with these "nuisances", the government finds ways in which they can cause the pests to be transferred to the lawless land. When the talented lose their bonds they usually confront the government, pleading that they change their loved ones' sentences, only to be ignored. In a discreet manner, the government informs the talented that if they do not go back to their respective domains and produce results - their loved ones will suffer misfortunes in their new lives.

Not all hope is lost because even in the lawless land there are those with capabilities comparable to the "chosen" ones. Those that were banished approach these individuals for help; asking that they go back to the other world to free their friend, boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, brother, sister, mother, father, etc. by beating them at their own games.

Note: the lawless land is just a place where people's lifestyles resemble our lifestyles. It's just that in this future world, our lifestyle is practically lawless.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 08:12:44 am by NamsuClintz »

Offline balis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 07:55:45 am »
Before, what I gave was just a basic break down of the setting. Now I'll give a breakdown of the plot as follows:

In such a world they managed to cultivate people with innate talent to an almost unimaginable level. However, not all of these people are vain. There are those that wish to live a simple life, amongst everyone else. These people, in their respective domains, would boar the most fruitful results so in the government's interest they are placed in a situation where they excel. In quite a lot of cases, the people who wish for a simple life divert from their routes and end up meeting and developing relationships with others who, as the government sees it, only hinder the capabilities.

To deal with these "nuisances", the government finds ways in which they can cause the pests to be transferred to the lawless land. When the talented lose their bonds they usually confront the government, pleading that they change their loved ones' sentences, only to be ignored. In a discreet manner, the government informs the talented that if they do not go back to their respective domains and produce results - their loved ones will suffer misfortunes in their new lives.

Not all hope is lost because even in the lawless land there are those with capabilities comparable to the "chosen" ones. Those that were banished approach these individuals for help; asking that they go back to the other world to free their friend, boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, brother, sister, mother, father, etc. by beating them at their own games.

Note: the lawless land is just a place where people's lifestyles resemble our lifestyles. It's just that in this future world, our lifestyle is practically lawless.

good for me~~

made by dioz/kami

Offline Anndgrim

• Abnormal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 08:56:33 am »

In such a world they managed to cultivate people with innate talent to an almost unimaginable level. However, not all of these people are vain. There are those that wish to live a simple life, amongst everyone else. These people, in their respective domains, would boar the most fruitful results so in the government's interest they are placed in a situation where they excel. In quite a lot of cases, the people who wish for a simple life divert from their routes and end up meeting and developing relationships with others who, as the government sees it, only hinder the capabilities.

good for me~~

Since you seem ready to delve right in.

Can you tell me what you're gonna do in this RP?
Sig by dioz

Offline Xtorr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 05:55:28 pm »
So basically it's Gintama/Sket Dance in another setting :D