Author Topic: Roleplay Discussions Thread  (Read 11381 times)

Offline ketaro

• Administrator
  • Let them entertain you
    • View Profile
Re: Roleplay Discussions Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 02:00:52 am »
So, it's time to get this thing started.

Do you guys have any ideas for a RP you might wanna share?

I, myself have an idea of plot line for a Roleplay set in the world of Warhammer 40,000. Unfortunatley it would require some decent knowledge of the setting.

I, however, have a number of settings ideas for which I have no real plotline:
  • A cyberpunk science-fantasy setting based on the real world, only, some time in the future, with vampires, werewolves, etc, and revolving around a crime ridden smuggling haven. (Possibly on an island, a big one)
    Power level: probably a Low-Tiers Medium(4) based on ketaro's scale, so basically characters with minor superhuman abilities.
  • A Low Fantasy setting based on 12th-13th Century Western Europe. Little to no magic involved, and if there is it is likely to be more akin to traditional witchcraft than to D&D fireballs. Characters wise we're basically looking at Knights, Rogues, Thugs, Warriors, Mercenaries and the sort.
    Power level: High-Tiers Low(3). We're dealing with realistically skilled characters.
  • An A-team like Commando RP (based in the "Real" World)
    Power level: High-Tiers Low (3)
  • A rogue vigilantes RP. "Real" World, no superpowers, just guns, knives and paramilitary gear, training and tactics. (Kind of imagining my character in that setting like an unpowered Deathstroke relying on smokes and mirrors)
  • Romanced Golden Age of Piracy (not unlike Pirates of the Carribean)

I guess that's about it for now.
You're open to comment on those and/or offer your own ideas.

I like the cyber-punk option because it has the fantasy elements and some sort of 'super' powered humans.
Its just tough to get into the more mundane choices for me :\ Though I can get quite into playing a character just a short hop above that 'mundane' level, just that small gap to get past.....Or somethin I dunno.

Offline Anndgrim

• Abnormal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 03:45:49 pm »
Talked with Clint who told me he's not doing this any time soon so back to square one.

For the cyber-punk setting, the basics are as described.
The basic idea I have right now is something like this:
We're looking at a somewhat dystopic near future. (less 200 yo in the future)
The world has been affected by a number of important changes due to economical issues. The combination of overpopulation, the accumulation of capital by the richest and the numeric economic crisis has led to a situation of civil unrest and mass expropriation, throwing people out of their houses.
Countries have reacted in various manners to this situation. Some have decided to hang onto unregulated capitalism as if it was a Human Right, some have or attempted to install very strict regulations. Some countries have greatly strengthen the power of their government and law enforcement forces sometimes flirting with the Martial Law some show signs of having clearly given up. Those changes in political lines and interests have stirred up old enemities and created new ones between nations, and some friendships have been brought down by uncompatibles views.

As in every darker times of humanity, great benefits are to be had for the unscrupulous and the lawless and crime in many of its forms have known an important growth. This is a golden age of Organized Crime.

The RP presumably revolves around an island in International waters which has become a center point for all smuggling operations in it's sector. The place itself is an hell of improvised steel and concrete buildings flanked around mud paved streets, a wretched hive of scum and villainy. If it exists and it's bad for you or someone else, you're likely to find it there. The people that live there are mainly smugglers and other ship crew, exhiles, deserters, pimps, human traffickers, gang bangers, hunted criminals of other sorts, businessmen and dealers of various products, the bounty hunters after them and refugees.

What you can find in this setting?
Bionic implants:
Bionic implants exists and can be used as if they were the real thing. Though it's an available option many don't imitate the appearance of the part of the body they replace. Arms, legs and such use artificial electrically powered polymer muscles instead of more classic engines for mobility. (think Deus Ex 3)

Firearms: Advanced and hightech but still projectile based. You're more likely to find things like laser pointers, thermal vision, electronic displays etc equipped on basic guns. The caliber to power ration has also been greatly enhanced.

Explosives: plenty of fancy ones.

Drugs: any form with any effects on the mind.

Monsters: case by case. Human based/looking ones. Vampires, werewolves, mutants, genetic experiments and the likes. No eye beams or other flashy powers though.
Sig by dioz

Offline diozknight

• Global Moderator
  • totally not dioz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 07:14:12 pm »
I do like the setting and the concept you've got going girm.

I'm not quite sure how to make vampires and werewolves fit into this kind setting, without it sounding strange. I would assume that in this kinda dystopian era the monsters/enemies would lean towards the genetic abominations/mutants/humans group.

Offline Anndgrim

• Abnormal
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 04:32:46 am »

I'm not quite sure how to make vampires and werewolves fit into this kind setting, without it sounding strange. I would assume that in this kinda dystopian era the monsters/enemies would lean towards the genetic abominations/mutants/humans group.

Yah that's the idea. Vampires and "werewolves" (or Lycans like ket dubbed them) are stripped of their more exotic powers. They are the result of old (at the time of the setting) genetic experiments. They are distinct from other genetic experiments in that they are a "kind" that counts quite a few members with roughly the same genetic heritage.
I'm thinking of having them have a generation of naturally born children (as in male impregnates female) to further differentiate them from others.
Their characteristics are explained by their genes and I've tried to describe things like the vampire's sunlight vulnerability based on real genetic diseases.

Neither Lycans nor vampires or anything actually can outright transform into something else, transformation going against biologic or physics logic.

Lycans attributes are:
  • Heightened sense of smell
  • Heightened hearing (with abillity to locate the origin of sounds more accurately than humans due to the actual shape and mobility of wolf ears)
  • Night vision
  • Slightly superhuman strength and speed
  • Extreme stamina
  • Accelerated regeneration (heals fast but remaining in "biologically realistic" times, healing from a simple gunshot
    wounds will take hours and not just seconds)

Their appearance can range from human with weird eye color, fangs and ears to downright fury.

Vampires are very similar in most regards.

On a side note:
Genetic experiments are rare. If they roam free it's most likely because they escaped the facilities they were created in. However they are relatively concentrated on that island because they'd most likely be hunted by governments or their creators anywhere else (not that they necessarily aren't in that place).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 04:46:02 am by Anndgrim »
Sig by dioz

Offline diozknight

• Global Moderator
  • totally not dioz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 05:57:40 am »

Yah that's the idea. Vampires and "werewolves" (or Lycans like ket dubbed them) are stripped of their more exotic powers. They are the result of old (at the time of the setting) genetic experiments. They are distinct from other genetic experiments in that they are a "kind" that counts quite a few members with roughly the same genetic heritage.
I'm thinking of having them have a generation of naturally born children (as in male impregnates female) to further differentiate them from others.
Their characteristics are explained by their genes and I've tried to describe things like the vampire's sunlight vulnerability based on real genetic diseases.

Neither Lycans nor vampires or anything actually can outright transform into something else, transformation going against biologic or physics logic.

Lycans attributes are:
  • Heightened sense of smell
  • Heightened hearing (with abillity to locate the origin of sounds more accurately than humans due to the actual shape and mobility of wolf ears)
  • Night vision
  • Slightly superhuman strength and speed
  • Extreme stamina
  • Accelerated regeneration (heals fast but remaining in "biologically realistic" times, healing from a simple gunshot
    wounds will take hours and not just seconds)
Their appearance can range from human with weird eye color, fangs and ears to downright fury.

Vampires are very similar in most regards.

On a side note:
Genetic experiments are rare. If they roam free it's most likely because they escaped the facilities they were created in. However they are relatively concentrated on that island because they'd most likely be hunted by governments or their creators anywhere else (not that they necessarily aren't in that place).

ah this makes a bit more sense now, ty for explaining.

this scenario reminds me of maximum ride a little bit.

Offline AnimeFreak

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 10:00:00 pm »
So I would like to get a non-canon Avatar RP up. It'll be set after the events of the last Season of the Legend of Korra. I don't want to use Republic  City as the setting, I'd make a whole new city and make a map (Probably cheesy lookiing) In paint or something.

As of right now this is just a rough draft/idea in my head. I would put heavy restrictions on players though, as in no metal bending, lightning bending, or blood bending, unless your character has dedicated a significant amount of time in developing. This will not mean posting it in your bio, you have to dedicate in game time to doing it.

Let me know what you guys think.
A lesson without pain is meaningless. That’s because you can not gain something without sacrificing something else in return. But, once you’ve over come the pain you will gain a heart that is stronger than anything else.

Offline Anndgrim

• Abnormal
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 02:32:24 am »
So I would like to get a non-canon Avatar RP up. It'll be set after the events of the last Season of the Legend of Korra. I don't want to use Republic  City as the setting, I'd make a whole new city and make a map (Probably cheesy lookiing) In paint or something.

As of right now this is just a rough draft/idea in my head. I would put heavy restrictions on players though, as in no metal bending, lightning bending, or blood bending, unless your character has dedicated a significant amount of time in developing. This will not mean posting it in your bio, you have to dedicate in game time to doing it.

Let me know what you guys think.

I know I'm going to get some weird looks, but I've never watched that show. The few episodes I've seen were pretty uneventful.
Sig by dioz

Offline AnimeFreak

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 01:11:55 am »
Honestly all you need to watch is this:

Avatar The Last Airbender Opening

And now you're ready for the RP. Lol, just understand that Firebenders bend fire, water bend water, air bend air, and earth bend earth.
A lesson without pain is meaningless. That’s because you can not gain something without sacrificing something else in return. But, once you’ve over come the pain you will gain a heart that is stronger than anything else.

Offline ketaro

• Administrator
  • Let them entertain you
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 01:26:07 am »
If its a non-canon RP, then yeah, knowledge from the Avatar tv shows is pretty unnecessary.

I'd be interested certainly. I'd love something a little more showy in terms of powers than the current ideas :)

Offline balis

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 01:24:31 pm »
what's non-canon RP ?

made by dioz/kami

Offline Anndgrim

• Abnormal
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 01:42:57 pm »
what's non-canon RP ?
A RP that is not canon.

By extension, any RP using a pre existing setting IS non-canon. Unless the original wirtter comes onthe forum, reads the roleplay and says "Yeah, I'm gonna make that cannon."
Sig by dioz

Offline ketaro

• Administrator
  • Let them entertain you
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 07:16:28 pm »
what's non-canon RP ?

Playing in a pre-existing setting but using a storyline not associated with the original.

Like for Avatar, it'd be canonical if we all played as the original characters from the Team Avatar gang in The Last Airbender.
It'd be non-canonical if we all played as a group of firebenders engaging in secret missions in various parts of the world that never run into the Avatar & gang.

*shrugs*

Offline Yajuu_Kikuishi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 02:10:57 am »
Mmm, an interesting thing I've never really thought about before; the definitions of 'Canon' and 'Non-Canon' in the setting of Forum Roleplaying. I agree that if we're talking about the actual definitions of 'Canon / Non-Canon' then, as Anndgrim says, all RP's based in an existing universe of an Anime / Manga are Non-Canon.

However, when I personally refer to 'Canon' in the terms of an RP realm, I tend to be talking about whether the events in the source material actually happened (or are happening) while the RP is going on. 'Non-Canon' for me refers to any RP which uses the rules of an existing universe but nothing from the source material's story is present in the RP. Using the Avatar example, a 'Canon' RP would involve Aang, Kotarra, Sokka, Toph etc. going around on their journey while users characters interact and behave around them. If it were a 'Non-Canon' RP, then the rules of the Avatar World (Bending, Islands, factions etc) exist but Aang and his gang wouldn't exist and users would create an original story with original characters.

I'd also better mention that any RP that doesn't use an existing universe as a basis to a story is, to me, an 'Original' RP. I hope that all made sense. :)
You May Call Me...

Offline ketaro

• Administrator
  • Let them entertain you
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 02:53:56 am »
Pretty much.

Offline Anndgrim

• Abnormal
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 06:11:32 am »
I'm okay with that.

I'm pretty dry on a plot idea for my Cyberpunk setting. All I can think of right now is  basing it on character focus and letting things just happen naturally.
It's not so much about finding a plot, but finding a plot that would actually "federate" the different members of the RP. Especially since the lone wolf type is pretty typical of Cyberpunk setting.
Sig by dioz

anything