Author Topic: Light novel similar to SAO..?  (Read 2858 times)

Offline balis

• View Profile
Light novel similar to SAO..?
« on: November 24, 2012, 04:28:33 pm »
yeah so, I'm sick of waiting for the volume 11 of SAO, so, to anyone who's read it, could you advise me some other similar light novel?

made by dioz/kami

Offline diozknight

• Global Moderator
  • totally not dioz
    • View Profile
Re: Light novel similar to SAO..?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 05:46:16 pm »
I have been waiting for the perfect chance to throw this novel at somebody. :D

If you have not already seen or heard of the .hack// series then I highly suggest you start looking into it.

Sword Art Online basically takes key elements from the "trapped in an mmo universe" scenario directly from .hack//

Since you are looking for a light novel, start with the novel that started the entire series, .hack//Ai Buster!

In the epic prequel to .hack, the avatar Albireo is a solo adventurer in The World, the most advanced online fantasy game ever created. When he comes across Lycoris, a strange little girl in a dungeon, Albireo wonders if she's simply nothing more than a bug in the system. As the two journey further into The World, Albireo watches Lycoris turn all of the rules of The World upside down. Slowly, he comes to realize that she may hold a very deadly secret--a secret that could unhinge everything in cyberspace...and beyond!

You can read the novel here: .hack//Ai Buster

Offline coolnow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 05:48:26 pm »
I've always come across .hack games for the PS2 but never took the time to check them out. I'll be reading the LN after i finish Welcome to the NHK.

If you can't find something, PM me so i can try to find it for you. My specialty is mainly books.

youaref***ingretarded.com

Offline diozknight

• Global Moderator
  • totally not dioz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 05:55:25 pm »
I've always come across .hack games for the PS2 but never took the time to check them out. I'll be reading the LN after i finish Welcome to the NHK.

yeah, the games pretty much made the franchise what it is today. It's always good to know the story from the very beginning! :D

I've only seen the anime of NHK, is the novel good?

Offline coolnow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 06:02:59 pm »

yeah, the games pretty much made the franchise what it is today. It's always good to know the story from the very beginning! :D

I'm only around 30 pages in out of 250 (on my iPod) and it's great so far. It's just settling in, but i'm enjoying it a lot, especially because i was NEET for like 2 months and can relate to a few things :P Have a crack at the LN!

If you can't find something, PM me so i can try to find it for you. My specialty is mainly books.

youaref***ingretarded.com

Offline balis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 06:20:06 pm »

If you have not already seen or heard of the .hack// series then I highly suggest you start looking into it.

Sword Art Online basically takes key elements from the "trapped in an mmo universe" scenario directly from .hack//

Since you are looking for a light novel, start with the novel that started the entire series, .hack//Ai Buster!

In the epic prequel to .hack, the avatar Albireo is a solo adventurer in The World, the most advanced online fantasy game ever created. When he comes across Lycoris, a strange little girl in a dungeon, Albireo wonders if she's simply nothing more than a bug in the system. As the two journey further into The World, Albireo watches Lycoris turn all of the rules of The World upside down. Slowly, he comes to realize that she may hold a very deadly secret--a secret that could unhinge everything in cyberspace...and beyond!

I tried to watch the anime 2 times, but it was too damn slow and I dropped it..

I guess the LN is better, but how about the pace?

made by dioz/kami

Offline diozknight

• Global Moderator
  • totally not dioz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 07:04:23 pm »

I tried to watch the anime 2 times, but it was too damn slow and I dropped it..

I guess the LN is better, but how about the pace?

this is about something different then the anime you've probably seen, because it's the prequel. However it does have the same general feel. The pacing is fine, If I do remember correctly, it starts off great, it gets kinda slow in the middle (not too bad though), but then picks up towards the ending of the novel. <im avoiding spoilers here.

I'm only around 30 pages in out of 250 (on my iPod) and it's great so far. It's just settling in, but i'm enjoying it a lot, especially because i was NEET for like 2 months and can relate to a few things :P Have a crack at the LN!

I'll definitly give it a go one of these days :D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 07:05:56 pm by kami »

anything