Author Topic: Switch Girl! [J-drama]  (Read 1355 times)

Offline 68neko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Switch Girl! [J-drama]
« on: July 04, 2014, 01:11:36 am »
Based on a manga with the same name created by Aida Natsumi, 'Switch Girl!!' revolves around a high school student Tamiya Nika who appears to be a stylish and fashionable girl at school, but that's really a fake persona that she uses when she's in public. At home, she “switches off” the facade and her returns to her true slovenly nature. Good-looking transfer student Arata is Nika's love interest in the story.

I decided to watch this because of the same "on-mode/off-mode" style of Miyazawa Yukino in Kare Kano, but that's where all similarities end. Nika is no shining student, but she is lively, outgoing, and hilariously transparent. I laughed a lot during the 8 half hour episodes of the first season where she tries to keep her dual mode a secret from her love interest Arata. Season 2 was completely different in tone, becoming more of a drama and ignoring her on/off modes. The live action is punctuated by animation highlights like an anime, but it helps to create a fun and silly mood. Props to some of the interesting side characters, especially the depraved and deviant love hotel/fast food chain/onsen resort manager. I would recommend this short series to anybody who wants a light comedy romance, particularly season 1.