Author Topic: My Ultimate Otaku Room Project  (Read 185 times)

Offline Jestyn

• not-a-bot
  • Fuko-chan
    • View Profile
My Ultimate Otaku Room Project
« on: May 14, 2021, 04:19:45 am »

Year 2021 and I finally decided to post this after quite long. I was actually planning to make a post about this last year but I found myself procrastinating and saying: "nah I'll do it later..." and then days past then months past and finally a year I still wasn't able to make a post about this lol. Anyways I just want to showcase possibly the biggest project that was done on my room so far... I asked my relative to renovate it for me.

BTW while that photo was indeed my room, that's just the photo that was taken "BEFORE" the renovation, so NOPE It's NOT the renovation that I was talking about. But rather, something special, I'm talking about "Traditional Japanese Room" which is also called "Tatami Room". Visiting Japan few months prior is what really gave me the idea. I just really admire the looks of Japanese houses. And so I began searching google as to how the design work.  So how did the renovation go?

To get started I have my room emptied and dismantled.

then after that I draw a plan of the room and showed my relative, and explain what exactly I want.

and so he began with building a skeleton of Tokonoma. (Not included in paper but I explain it in person.)

As for the color of my room I actually asked a staff from Paint Department on Home Depot If he's familiar with tatami room and fortunately enough, the guy has been in japan before and told me that the color of the room is most likely "Khaki Shade" and mixed paints for me to get that color.

Now that I acquired the paint, my relative began painting my room.

After that, we purchased several oak woods and then apply them to the wall

Now things seems to be coming together to resemble a tatami room. However the egress kinda ruins theme of the room. So I decided to have it covered with mural and encase it in a frame that resembles a japanese window.

Here's the photo of the mural as I explain to my relative how to put the mural and the several planks together to create a psuedo japanese window.

I also considered safety in my room so the mural was made easy to tear as possible to access the egress incase of emergency by sticking it on a very light plastic cardboard as shown in the picture and hang it on wall using velcro.

That shoji is very light as well and it's not real door either. It's actually shoji divider that was taken apart and hinged them on side the of frame to make it look like window door.

Now it’s time to install a closet door here and in order to do that, some woods need to be dismantled here...

This wood over here, while it serves it's purpose as support to tokonoma, it just doesn't fit well with the rest of woods, all of them were glossy but this one, so I had it tainted but it only make the wood look dirty ugh...

So I had it coated with very thin wood planks and now it looks much better.

After all that I began decorating my room with stuff that I bought from Japan

Now It's time for flooring. Of course it can't be called tatami room without tatami mats on floor so I searched the web and found some on Amazon Japan and got them delivered using "Rakuten Global Express" but not without running into some issues with shipping:

1.) Rakuten informed me that the package size limit has exceeded and therefore they asked if they could use fedex instead since none of their shipping options would be able to ship an item of this size but doing so makes the fee more expensive. Without any other choice I just agreed.

2.) It alerted the Japanese Customs since the tatami is composed of certain grass (juncus effusus) they advise me to contact the customs in my side of country to asked if this item will be allowed to enter the canadian border. Fortunately, after contacting the Canadian Customs, they responded yes to my question. Can you imagine how stressful for me to wait for their response?

And with all that trouble taken care off, the package was all set to go. And after few weeks, I’m really happy to have finally recieved my tatami mats.

Now to replace my computer table. I need a low table instead since it doesn't fit my room anymore. And found one on ebay.

Overall, I believe, really took quite a huge risk with this project because had the design not worked out as I imagined it be, my room would probably have been a disaster, and wasted my money for nothing but it was all worth it and I’m glad that the room was even better than what I imagined.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 01:38:51 am by Jestyn »

Offline 68neko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: My Ultimate Otaku Room Project
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 07:19:40 pm »
That is an awesome room conversion and very well done! It went from a stereotypical hikikomori room to a tasteful, elegant, mature adult space. It looks much better with minimal adornments compared to the tons of posters and action figures in your old room. Mari Kondo would be proud of you!

So I guess your room is only 4.5 mats large (less the tokonoma and entryway space.) Given that they are a standard size, it's a good thing your room had the perfect dimensions.  I was surprised that you couldn't find the tatami mats somewhere in Canada so you didn't have to import them yourself.

Congratulations and enjoy your new room!

Offline Jestyn

• not-a-bot
  • Fuko-chan
    • View Profile
Re: My Ultimate Otaku Room Project
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 01:13:46 am »
So I guess your room is only 4.5 mats large (less the tokonoma and entryway space.) Given that they are a standard size, it's a good thing your room had the perfect dimensions.  I was surprised that you couldn't find the tatami mats somewhere in Canada so you didn't have to import them yourself.
There's actually some gaps on corners left after installing the tatami so to fill the gap my relative slap some woods on the corners. But yea my room was indeed small nontheless.

And actually yea, we do have tatami here in canada but i find them kinda expensive, I found a better deal in amazon japan. :P

Kinda ironic though shortly after the renovation, the pandemic breaks out probably about a month or two and it was a close call because had it happen while my room isn't done, it probably would've hindered the shipment of tatami mats. It's was really amazing how world has changed in a short time.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 02:54:18 am by Jestyn »

anything